ChristineLVT
ChristineLVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training
4329681

My cat has a tumor growth on leg...it grew rapidly and the

Customer Question

My cat has a tumor growth on leg...it grew rapidly and the fluid Dr pulled out is unidentifiable. We had Xrays today...chest and body no cancer. Biopsy results will come in this week. They think its cancer but Vet has not seen a tumor grow as fast as this one. Is at all possible it could be anything thing else. She does not have any infection..they checked.Vet is still unsure what the fluid is..not joint fluid or puss..it by knee front leg.
Category: Cat
Expert:  ChristineLVT replied 6 years ago.

Tumors which are benign (non-cancerous) do often grow slow. The meaning of cancer, however, is rapidly dividing cells. These are the tumors which grow fastest. Other than an abscess, which is a pus and fluid filled growth that your vet would have gotten fluid back from, cancers are the fastest growing growth there is. Unless the lab says this is indeed an abscess, it will likely require some type of removal regardless.

It is not completely hopeless, however. First, there are inflammatory masses which can also grow quite fast, which are a type of auto-immune problem and with removal can be completely cured. Also, certain types of cancers with successful removal, can cause no further problems for your kitty. There are also options like radiation treatment, even for tumors that are non-cancerous, and chemotherapy, but these are expensive and time consuming. If the biopsy does not give definitive answers, you may want to consider removal quickly regardless, as this is likely to continue growing and due to where it is, will get to a point where completely removal is difficult for the surgeon.

I wish you and your cat the best, XXXXX XXXXX me know if I can help further.

Christine

Experience: Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Christine,thank you so much for your reply. I have one more avenue
to explore. Have you ever heard of a Ganglion cyst? The Dr. had said the fluid was something she had never seen before...it was a jelly substance. Ganglion cysts are caused by trauma to a joint. Just before this tumor or growth appeared she had jumped from a VERY high
closet to a night stand and then slip off. (My motherinlaw had brought her 3 dogs to stay for the weekend and upset the cats)
Is if possible that since is appeared on the side a joint and fluid
was confusing to our vet..that it could be this? She is otherwise so healthy?

I have heard of ganglion cysts, but they are not generally diagnosed in our companion animals. Instead, if this growth or swelling appeared just after an injury, which you did not mention earlier, chances are much higher it is more along the lines of inflammatory mass. Any type of cyst with liquid filling can be managed by withdrawing the entire amount of fluid, and I'm curious why your vet chose to not do so. after doing so, an x-ray could have been taken for further diagnostic of what occurred, knowing an injury did occur just prior.

Christine

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Christine,
Well biopsy came back Wed and it was a fast growing aggresive cancer tumor. Xrays showed it had not spread to the chest or anywhere else..as far as they can see. We went ahead and had the leg amputated today. We are not doing chemo because I don't want to put her thru that. Vet said it has 30%-40% chance of spreading. My question is with your experience how do cats normally do with 1 missing leg?
Will she be able to adapt? Thanks...for all your help. You have been so helpful through this..(You were right that cancerous tumors are sometimes the fasted growing!)

I am very sorry for the diagnosis, but you made a very smart move getting that amputation done a.s.a.p before any sign of metastasis. In my experience, in which we've dealt with this many many times, cats do amazing well with 3 legs. In fact, the majority of cats we've amputated don't seem to even notice a difference and are moving about upon waking up from anesthesia. It's more difficult in dogs with broad chests and narrow waists to distribute their weight differently, but cats, being much closer to the ground already and having amazing sense of balance, rarely have a problem. A couple I have seen avoided moving much about 2 days post-op, but that was more likely to being a bit out of it from the amount of pain meds on board, and started slithering soon after, then walking about with no problems. I've never seen a cat not able to move about ever after an amputation, so don't worry about that.

While you'll likely have some future metastasis checks (chest x-rays, maybe an ultrasound far in the future), having had this done gave your cat an amazing chance at a well-extended life now, and I'm smiling to hear how quickly you acted on this and your cat's chances, which are extremely good.

You should feel very good about this now and I'm sure your cat will be recovering quickly from this.

Again, good luck with everything, and I'm still available on this thread should you need anything further.

Christine

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Christine, it was rough the first 5 days. Tasha was extremely depressed and unresponsive. She hid in the closet for days. BUT the good news is she is now coming around. She gets around no problem. I questioned our decision during those 5 days. She can jump up on the bed, get around the house, litter box etc. You really helped me through this process. My question now is she had surgery 8/22...how long should we keep her on pain medication? I do not want her to be in pain..but the vet has not really elborated on how long she will be in pain. Also, when the stitches are out can we let her outside? she is really dieing to go out. Thanks so much! Margo