Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

How do you get a cat to stop going to the bathroom on carpet

Customer Question

How do you get a cat to stop going to the bathroom on carpet? He quit using his litter box in the laundry room and started going in the family room on the carpet. We have tried a whole new box, new litter, putting the box in the corner where he was going and moving it across the room back towards the laundry room and a vinegar/baking soda combination to clean the carpet. Help.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.

If you haven't had your cat evaluated by the vet, with urinalysis and fecal analysis, yet, I'd start there. An underlying medical problem may have started this problem.

Please be aware that declawed cats typically do eliminate more inappropriately than others, and I understand your reason for the declawing.

You've already done many right things, in trying the Cat Attract, placing the litter on the area of carpet where he usually soils, and cleaning the carpet with baking soda and vinegar.

At this point, I'd recommend cleaning the areas he soils with an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle, and other products found below:

Also, I think your cat would benefit from Feliway/Comfort Zone for Cats, which is a cat appeasing pheromone that can help to relax stressed cats and curb urine marking and/or inappropriate elimination. It comes in both a spray and plug-in diffuser. The diffuser plugs into an electrical outlet like an air freshener, but has no scent to humans.

For more information, please see:

Major pet supply stores carry Feliway, you can also order it online, and some vet offices carry it.

Also, as a last resort, because I really don't like recommending prescription medication unless absolutely necessary, discuss Clomicalm with your vet. This, and other anti-stress, anti-anxiety meds are often tried as a last resort.

Try using more than one box, keep the one where he's peeing on the carpet, there, and keep the one he's used to, in the laundry room, there. If at all possible, try to keep him out of the family room, and away from the spots he prefers.

I hope things improve, soon for you and your kitty!