Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My cats urine has a very pungent odor of amonia. I dont see

Customer Question

My cat's urine has a very pungent odor of amonia. I don't see any other signs of sickness. Her appetite is good and she has good movement and does not appear apathetic and I don't see that she is drinking more water than ususal. Should I be concerned?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 8 years ago.
Dear friend,

That "pungent" odor is a symptom of a urinary tract infection, so even though she seems fine, I would have her checked by her vet.

UTI's must be treated with an effective broad spectrum antibiotic like Clavamox or clidimycin and for a long enough duration so all bacteria is eradicated. If not, they will refluorish, stronger and more resistant and reinfect her. In addition, the bacteria can become tolerant of the same antibiotic so the medication should be varied for best results.

Your baby should not eat dry food. Canned only so she gets adequate fluid. She should also be encouraged to drink as much as possible to keep the kidneys and bladder flushed. You can give her one daily drop of unsweetened (only) cranberry juice. That will reduce the PH of her urine and make herbladder inhospitable to UTI bacteria.

It is also possible these events may be triggered by stones or crystals. Depending on the findings , you may want to consider low ash, low magnesium food or even a renal diet if she would eat it.

Please let me know if you still have questions and how your baby is feeling. I will be happy to help further.

I hope she will be fine.

very sincerely,