Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My 18 year old cat refuses to use her litter box

Her box is kept clean. She had a sore on her behind that the Vet has cleaned up and corrected. But she will not go to the box

Not using the litterbox can be caused by various factors. In your case, I think the sore on her bottom is bothering her and/or if it's healed, she's remembering how painful it was to eliminate in the box, and she's associating the box with that pain, and that's why she's refusing to use it, now.

Taking the cover off the box was a very smart idea, on your part! Add some 'Cat Attract' litter, which contains herbal attractants that encourage use of the box. Continue to keep it very clean and also, add a second box, in a different location, and introduce her to it. In addition, if she's stressed by the sore on her bottom, a cat appeasing pheromone called Feliway/Comfort Zone for Cats, may help. You can find it in major pet supply stores and online.

Try placing her in the box right after eating, as this is the time most cats will go; if she jumps out, put her in once more, and if she jumps out again, place her in there every ten minutes until she makes a deposit.

It's important that you clean any areas she's soiled, with an enzymatic cleaner, so she doesn't return to do it again, if she can't smell it.

I hope all goes well.