Dog Cat Doctor
Dog Cat Doctor, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  18 years companion animal veterinarian

2 yrs. ago my cats amylase level was 2263 (HIGH). He ...

2 yrs. ago my cat''s amylase level was 2263 (HIGH). He has been getting very thin but otherwise seems o.k. Is there anything I can give him to help him? He''s 13 yrs. old and I have 5 cats and a dog. I can''t afford more vet bills. The vet wanted to do ultrasounds etc. 2 yrs ago but he is still alive and not too bad. HELP!!!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dog Cat Doctor replied 8 years ago.
I don't always use Amylase levels in cats to determine if they have pancreatitis. I often will do a TLI panel if I suspect there might be a problem with intestinal disease/pancreatitis/inflammatory bowel disease. Is he vomiting? Are his bowel movements normal? Does he have a heart murmur or any signs of breathing difficulty? Have x-rays of the abdomen and chest been performed? Urinalysis?

Ongoing weight loss, despite eating, is very worrisome. I can understand why you are so concerned. An abdominal ultrasound is very helpful and is not invasive. I know it is expensive, but if your vet suggests it as a next step, I would try to find a way to afford it. I always recommend that ultrasounds be performed by experienced, board certified specialists in order to obtain the most accurate results.

Please keep me updated on your boy's condition. If you have found my response helpful, would you kindly press "accept."?

Good Luck,
Dog Cat Doctor
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dog Cat Doctor's Post: He is not vomiting and his stool is normal. His urine analysis was o.k. too. Is there an enzyme or pill I could give him to help his digestion of food?
I have found that pepcid helps dogs and cats with acid stomachs that vomit, but your cat is not vomiting. I don't know that your cat's problem is a failure to properly digest food-the weight loss may be from protein loss in the gastrointestinal tract or urine or lack of food intake. I would suggest you make certain you are feeding a good quality food-with a named animal source of protein as the first word in the ingredient list and without animal by-products. Your vet may have prescription diets with high calorie and protein contents for you to try. Please recheck with your veterinarian if the weight loss persists-it is often easier to feel a cat's abdomen for abnormalities if a cat has lost weight. Perhaps your veterinarian will detect something that was previously not very obvious on earlier examinations. Cats often get small intestine/liver/pancreas problem, and further diagnostic x-rays and ultrasounds may provide useful information.

Good Luck and I hope I have helped give you a bit of insight. Please let me know how things turn out.

Dog Cat Doctor
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dog Cat Doctor's Post: I checked the food and the main ingredient is chicken. The other 4 cats are thriving on it. Could he be missing an enzyme or something?
The main ingredient is listed first and I'm glad it lists chicken. Cat foods won't be listed as balanced unless they meet all the nutritional needs of your pet as determined by the AAFCO. You can look at your bag further to determine whether meat-by-products are included and I avoid pet food containing this. I also avoid food where the source of the protein or fat is listed as "animal" or "meat" without listing which specific animal of the species is the source(i.e. salmon, chicken, beef). Balanced foods contain all the vitamins and minerals needed.

Hope this helps.

Dog Cat Doctor