Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

how dangerous are seromas

My cat (about a year old) was spayed about a week and a half ago. after being spayed she developed an infection. The infection was cleansed and she was put on anti-biotics. A couple days later she formed a seroma. I called the vet and they said I should go ahead and bring her back in. They opened up the sutures again and inserted a drain (wick looking thing). The next morning we returned to the clinic where they had to open her back up again to remove the drain. (it was ''stuck''). Now, a couple of days sense the drain removal another lump (I assume another seroma) is forming a little lower on her stomach from the orignal.

The cat has an extremly flabby belly/fatpad. I have read that cats that are like that have a much higher chance of developing a seroma after surgery. After 4 surgeries and many many visits the clinic I''m reluctant to go back. she hates it and I hate to torture her. Am I safe just keeping an eye on the lump/seroma or is there danger here that i''m unware of?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

A seroma is a pocket of clear serous fluid that sometimes develops in the body after surgery.

In direct answer to your question : Seromas are of very little consequence, left on their own their fluid content will normally reabsorb and they will resolve on their own.

But be certain you are not dealing with an infection { abscess } or a post surgery hernia.

As I said a seroma will normally resolve on its own but this will take a bit of time say two to three weeks.

If I can advise you further please get back in touch.

Scott Nimmo BVMS
Scott Nimmo, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.