Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Why is my dog involuntarily twitching @ back legs & flanks

Customer Question

She seems to do it more at night and when lying still.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.
Hello again, and thanks for requesting me to answer your question.

It would help if you could provide a little more information.

How old is your dog and what breed?

When did you first notice this symptom?

Is your dog eating, drinking and eliminating as usual? Do these areas seem sensitive when you pet her there?

Has your dog been diagnosed with any specific medical problem and/or is she currently taking any medications?

Is your dog currently on a monthly flea and tick preventative like Frontline Plus?

Thanks,
Cher
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Jessesmom's Post: SHE IS NOT ON ANY MEDS.. SHE HAS NO OTHER SYMPTOMS....JUST STARTED DOING THIS ... BUT, DID IT ONCE BEFORE AND STOPPED.... SHE IS 8 YEARS OLD.
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply.

Muscle spasms/twitching in the hind flanks and legs, could be caused by various factors. If she has no other symptoms, that's great. You have to consider that she's a 'senior', and therefore, more prone to develop certain health conditions.

This symptom could be caused by external parasites, like fleas or mites, causing her skin to 'crawl', or it could be a neurologically-based problem.

Even though she exhibited this symptom, once, in the past, and it seemed to resolve itself, it would be a good idea to have her evaluated by the vet, with a hands-on examination. Once the vet knows more about what's happening to cause these twitches, the most appropriate treatment will be discussed. A consultation with a veterinary neurologist may be recommended, if your vet feels a neurological problem may be the cause. It's possible that the twitching is caused by a seizure-type disorder, or a muscle problem. She may need a nutritional supplement with specific minerals, to help improve her muscle tone.

Have her seen by her vet, as soon as possible, and I hope all will be well.

Cher