Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My cats one ear is hot and the other is cold. It

My cat''s one ear is hot and the other is cold. It doesn''t appear to be painful. What should I do?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for your patience. I'm surprised your question did not receive an earlier response.

If your cat is eating, drinking, eliminating, and acting normally today, the one cold ear/one hot ear is most likely attributed to a difference in circulation in each ear, and perhaps the way your cat was sleeping or laying.

I've experienced this with my own cat, quite often, and it has not been an indication of any illness. However, if you notice that the one hot ear remains so, and/or if your cat is exhibiting any unusual symptoms, do have him evaluated by the vet, to find if there is an underlying medical problem.

I hope all will be well with your kitty!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Jessesmom's Post: It's been going on for about two weeks. He had some other issues going on over the last six months so I'm pretty jumpy about him. When I first started, I decided to wait since it wasn't bothering him. But, now that it's been going on for so long, I'm a little worried.
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.
Hello again, and thanks for your reply.

If one ear has been hot for about two weeks, and he had other medical issues occurring over the last six months, you should definitely have him seen by the vet, as it may be related to the previous medical problem or a new one.

I don't blame you for being worried; having him checked out by the vet, will put your mind at ease, and help your kitty, if there's an underlying medical cause for his hot ear.

I hope it's something minor which is easily remedied.