ChristineLVT
ChristineLVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training
4329681

What does it mean if my Cats urine is brown in color

Customer Question

She has been urinating outside of the litter box, & the brown in color started 7/26/08
Category: Cat
Expert:  ChristineLVT replied 8 years ago.

Hello-

This is often due to a urinary tract infection. The bacteria causes inflammation in the bladder, which in turn causes bleeding and can be seen as either brown or red depending on how concentrated the urine is.

A urinary tract infection can often easily be treated with a round of antibiotics, but it is not something to put off treating for too long, as it is very uncomfortable for the cat and can eventually lead to either kidney infections or chronic cystitis.

Your vet will want to check a fresh urine sample to determine which type of bacteria is causing this and if crystals or casts are present, then choose the proper antibiotic for curing.

Best of luck, and let me know if I can help further.

Christine

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to ChristineLVT's Post: Is her urinary tract infection that bad that her urine has blood in it. Cause she had an UTI 1 time before & her urine wasnt brown or red in color. I will be calling the vet tomorrow to make an appt. Thanks so much!
It doesn't really give any indication of how bad the infection is, but at times it may indicate there is more bacteria, more inflammation, or even crystals forming causing this. As long as it is not straight, thick blood coming out, tomorrow is fine for an appt. Just try to encourage fresh water intake to help for tonight. Good luck!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to ChristineLVT's Post: Ok, sounds good! Thanks so much!

You're welcome, and hope this clears up quickly.

Christine