ERAnimalNurse, Emergency Critical Care Nurse
Experience:  16+ years of veterinary experience

My cat has had difficulty walking recently. Shes had ...

My cat has had difficulty walking recently. She''s had a few times in the past where she would not be able to walk or would fall over and it was last about 10-15 seconds. I had read online that it was a disease but there wasn''t any cure and that they aren''t in pain...but it has gotten worse...she has also not been eating hardly anything in the last few days. I also read today it could possibly be hook worm? Are there any other possibilities and/or any medicine I could try?
Category: Cat
Expert:  ERAnimalNurse replied 8 years ago.

HI there,

I am sorry your kitty is having trouble. She is quite young to be experiencing these spells, and that concerns me. It sounds like she is having seizures, and this is something that requires medical attention immediately. These episodes are emergencies becasue they have the potential to be life threatening. Often times, seizures can be pretty mild, but they can also progress and become constant, unstoppable events that can cause your kitty to die. If she does have a seizure disorder, there is treatment, but you need to tak her to the vet ASAP so that she can have an exam and some bloodwork. Please see the following website for more information on seizures.

These symptoms are not typical of hookworm, and I do not think that is the problem here. It is VERY dangerous for cats to go without eating, and if the go too long and lose too much weight, they can experience a condition called fatty liver disease. Please see the following website for more information on fatty liver disease.

Possible causes for the seizure type spells in such a young cat are brain tumors, ingestion of toxins, head trauma. If the spells are not seizures the list of possibilities is limitless. There are not any medicines available to you over the counter that will help with this condition, and it is never smart to adminsiter anything until a diagnosis is reached through blood tests or other lab tests. I suspect that your kitty is pretty dehydrated, and will require iv fluid therapy and hospitalization in addition to bloodwork and radiographs. It would be best to have her seen today, before most regular vets close for the weekend. The cost of an emergency visit will be much higher if you wait.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. If this has been helpful, please hit the green accept button. Good luck with your kitty!