Animal Eyes
Animal Eyes, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  25 years working, treating and loving small and exotic big cats, 5 yrs as an animal control officer

I just discovered that my diabetic cat has an open wound ...

I just discovered that my diabetic cat has an open wound on her tummy (the fat pads). The wound is approx. 6 mm in diameter and is training an obscene amount of milky-yellow discharge. There is little redness around the periphery of the wound edges and it feels like her fat pads are unusually hard. We don''t have an emerg vet in our area (the closest is 8 hours away) but I intend to take her to our vet on monday - until then, what can I do? Currently, I''m cleaning the area with normal saline and dressing it with polysporin ungt and trying to keep a non-adherent bandage over the site. Any other suggestions?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Animal Eyes replied 8 years ago.
It sounds like you are doing pretty much all that is necessary. There are a couple of other things that could be added to what you are doing if she will allow you to. One is to clip the area of fur to help it from getting messy and sticking to the wound. Another thing would be to do hydrotherapy on the area if she will let you. Using a kitchen sprayer on the area will help keep it clean and wash away the debris. It will also help increase the circulation to the area to help it heal faster. Other than that just keep doing what you are doing.