Lynn, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  worked at a vet clinic for 18 yrs, BA in biology, experience with cats for 20+ years

Can apple cider vinegar added to cats drinking water ...

Can apple cider vinegar added to cat's drinking water cause dehydration? I've read several articles on earthclinic website and several individuals have touted it's benefits. If it is safe to add to their drinking water, do you have a recommended amount to add?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Lynn replied 8 years ago.

It is indeed safe to add apple cider vinegar to your cat's water. Many sources claim that is has multiple health benefits. I don't know how true all of them are, but I do know that it isn't going to hurt anything to try it. You can try adding about 1 teaspoon per day to your cat's water. I would give fresh water everyday, and add the vinegar to it. Here is a link to a page with some more information about this:

If you have further questions let me know. If this answer is helpful please click accept. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for providing information about recommended amount to add to the drinking water.

However, can the apple cider vinegar added to cat's drinking water cause dehydration?

Thank you,
Expert:  Lynn replied 8 years ago.

No, the apple cider vinegar itself mixed in the water will not cause dehydration. The only way you would have this problem is if your cat won't drink the water because they don't like the taste. If you want an alternative way to give it to your cat, you could try mixing it in a little canned cat food once a day.

Thank you.