Dr. Debbie
Dr. Debbie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Full time practicing companion animal veterinarian.

what is correct dosage of penicillin vk for small (6lb) ...

what is correct dosage of penicillin vk for small (6lb) cat? This is for recurring UTI. I just can't afford another trip to the vets as I am dealing w my own expensive illness as well.
Do you have injectable or tablets?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
500mg tablets I do have a pill cutter and I can get her to take pills or mix in her food
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It keeps saying I don't have enough funds to chat.. how do I fix that?
The dose for your cat is 30 mg every 8 hours - you would do this about 7 to 10 days. It is going to be hard to dose this with those tablets being so large. Do you have any other antibiotics?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
actually its tedious but doable w the pill cutter. I just tried. The result is abt the size of a babt asprin. Unf. I don't have anything else.

So if I go w 30mg ev 8 hrs or a tad less for 7 - 10 days this is safe? I'd rather err on conserv side since she's old. Usually I'd go to vet but I actually can't drive with the meds I'm currently taking not to mention the cost!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
actually I think halving and halving and halving etc w the pill cutter gets me to 31.25mg each is that ok?
That will be okay. Make sure you do it three times a day or the antibiotic won't be high enough in the blood levels to help. Best of luck to you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thank you so much! accepting you now! Such a relief I can handle this even tho I can't get her to the vet just now!