Missy Zane
Missy Zane, Many years as cat sitter & rescuer
Experience:  A lifetime of living with & loving cats; specializing in behavior and outdoor cats
4040999

cat: than usual..chasing..trouble jumping onto the bed..human food

Customer Question

My cat has recently got lazier (than usual). She isn''t interested in chasing things, has had some trouble jumping onto the bed, and doesn''t come around when human food is on the table. She had a traumatic experience when some repairmen came over at the beginning of the month, but I can''t imagine that is the problem. Other than this, she is healthy, good coat, clear eyes, eating. She just seems kind of sad.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Missy Zane replied 6 years ago.
Hi...

Any change in a cat's behavior is cause for concern, and your cat really should be seen by a vet. Ask the vet to do blood tests to rule out diabetes -- diabetic neuropathy could be making it difficult for her to get onto your bed. It's also possible that she was accidentally injured when the people working on your house were there.

Is she has fleas, that could be causing her sadness. Fleas are very uncomfortable for a cat. She might also be looking sad because she's not feeling well.

The Frontline should work if it's applied correctly. If she has a very thick coat, this might be a two-person job... one person to part the fur so the Frontline can be applied right against the skin and the other to actually apply the Frontline. Don't put more on her now!

Where did you get the Frontline? If you bought it on eBay, it's possible that it was watered down and repackaged. I buy it on eBay sometimes, but I always check the seller's feedback before I buy. You want to see if people say the product actually works.

Until it's time to apply another dose of Frontline, comb her with a flea comb. Put the fur you've combed off into a glass or container of soapy water and dump the water outside when you're done. Do this at least once every day.

Please have her seen by a vet to make sure she's okay.

I hope this helps. If you'd like to talk more, please feel free to write back to me.

Missy