NancyH, Cat Health, Behavior, Care Expert
Experience:  30+ years cat owner, rescue, breeding, study of behavior & health care

Oxygen therapy- how to construct an at home cage for my kitty

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Cat
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.
You could use a plastic pet crate just closing off openings with plastic.
You might talk to your vet about setting up a plastic bin with holes for O2 to go in and small holes to let air exchange happen.
This company makes a small O2 tent for animals
This group has oxygen masks available
You do have to be careful with oxygen as it can rapidly cause a fire to go out of control.
This site describes one made for home baby care
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to NancyH's Post: If you close off the openings in a crate with plastic, what about the O2- CO2 exchange? Even though there is oxygen going in ranging from 3-5L there's a concern about CO2.
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.
Usually you don't totally seal it but the 'tent' is left loose so some oxygen escapes (along with CO2) and the oxygen content is just higher in the tent area than in surrounding areas.
If you had a total seal the tend would pop from increase of pressure inside it.
I've seen fiberglass vet cages set up with plastic over the front but not tight and the oxygen flowing into the cage area.
I've also seen big plasitc bins with an in valve and (sealable) holes to allow outflow of air on the opposite side of the bin which my vet uses for anesthesia on difficult cats and used to do a nebulizer treatment for one of my small dogs.
If your vet is sending you home with oxygen then you should ask them how best to set it up of course.