Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech 35+ years working w/Cats

How long does a mild sedative that a vet administered last

Customer Question

I brought my cat to the vet and ask him to administer a mild sedative for my cat for the ride home. We left the vet at 11 a.m. and now it''s 4:30 p.m. and he still does not seem the same. He isn''t eating, drinking or going to the bathroom. He is very lethargic. How long does it last.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Joan replied 8 years ago.

Even the mildest of sedatives can take a while to wear off on cats. Their bodies does not metabolize medications the way that dogs or humans do. A mild sedative can last 8-12 hours before the kitty is back to his normal self. I would not panick. This is not something to worry about depending on the weight of the kitty and the dose of the sedative it may take a little longer to wear off, than you would expect. Joan

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
OK. I feel better. He has never had any type of sedative before and I did not know what to expect. His weight is 15 pounds. Thank you so much.
Expert:  Joan replied 8 years ago.

You are welcome ! Give him another few hours and he should start feeling better. Joan