Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

My cat has one eye that has been leaking mostly clear

My cat has one eye that has been leaking mostly clear fluid for a few weeks and seems to happen randomly...
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. K replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer
Does your cat blink this eye alot more than the other eye?
Is the white part of the affected eye (the sclera) very red looking...like it is irritated?
Does your cat rub at this eye?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dr. K's Post: Hi, thanks for asking! Asia is almost always blinking her left eye excessively and yes, it does look a little red.. Not very, but there is a noticeable difference from her right.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 6 years ago.
The redness to the sclera is a sign of irritation, and the excessive blinking is a sign of pain. There are many things that can cause an eye to be red, but the most common are:

Corneal Ulcer
Glaucoma
Uveitis
Bacterial conjunctivitis

Corneal ulcers can be a primary problem or a secondary problem to another disease process, and can be tested for with something called a fluoroscein dye test. The vet will instill some green dye into both of the cat's eyes, and then examine them with a purple light. If an ulcer is present it will glow green. Corneal ulcers are treated with topical antibiotics in a preparation designed for the eye as either a drop or an ointment. A topical drug called atropine is also used to control the pain associated with this condition.
Glaucoma and uveitis can both be tested for with an instrument called a Tono-pen or Schiotz tonometer. These will measure the amount of pressure inside the dog's eye. If the dog has glaucoma this can be managed with topical medications until the source of the disease is diagnosed and dealt with. In some cases, this can require surgery.
Bacterial conjunctivitis is diagnosed by ruling all of these other problems out. If the Schirmer Tear Test, Fluorscein dye test and tono-pen exam are all normal, then bacterial conjunctivitis is assumed and is treated for with a topical antibiotic preparation with added steroids for the inflammation and pain.
There is also a condition called dacryocystitis, that can occur quite often in cats. This is when the tube that carries the tears out of the eye and into the nose, gets clogged..so the tears cannot drain properly. The major sign is chronic tearing. Most cats with this do not have a reddened eye, so I would put this lower on the list for your kitty. The vet will be able to tell if this is your cat's problem, when they do the fluoroscein dye test. If the dye runs out the nose...then we know that the nasolacrimal duct is open and functioning.

I hope that this information is of help to you, and that your kitty gets better soon. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years experience as Veterinarian