Reani, Cat Care Expert
Experience:  20+ years experience with Cat Care and behavior problems, 3 years Pet Rescue

Can I use sulfacetamide sodium ophthalmic solution on a cat ...

Customer Question

Can I use sulfacetamide sodium ophthalmic solution on a cat with an eye infection? THis was prescribed to me for pink eye about two months ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Reani replied 8 years ago.

Good Afternoon!

I wouldn't. It is likely too strong, and you will need it in ointment form. You can get an ointment for your boy without a prescription called Terramycin. Some pet stores carry it, (call first to see) or your vet may stock it as well, and be able to sell it to you without seeing your boy. Clean the eye with a warm wet papertowel without tugging to help keep it from sticking shut. You should see an improvement with the ointment within 2 to 3 days, but continue for about 10 to make sure the infection is completely gone. If no improvement he may need a stronger prescription strength.

Hope he is better real soon!

Warmest Wishes,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Sorry. I was just trying to read up for $3.00 before we ran out the door to pay the vet.

Didn't realize it would cost more than the $3. and didn't stick around for the answer. THanks anyway.