Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian

8 week kitten (was a barn cat) has very red swollen anus ...

8 week kitten (was a barn cat) has very red swollen anus (very light bleeding). She had distemper vaccination today, worm medicine, and just started an antibotic for conjunctivitus. How urgent is care for this? She had a bowel movement last night (where was able to get stool sample), but not today. She has been eating and earlier today was very active.
Is she pushing alot to defecate...and seems unable to?
Is she acting lethargic or painful now?
Was today the first day that she was ever dewormed?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
She is meowing a lot, but otherwise is active (went down the stairs)& is eating. She just urinated. Can't tell if she is trying to deficate. Today was the first day she was dewormed (had distemper and respiratory vaccines). She is underweight (1.5 lbs), but Vet figured the heavy worms she found were the culprit of this...
Does it look like the inner tissue of the anus (a very red tissue), is almost trying to be pushed inside out?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, it has pushed out about 1/8-3/16" height at the center.
What is most likely happening here, is that she has a high numbe of worms inside of her gastrointestinal tract that have died today from the deworming and may be causing her an impaction. This can cause the entire rectum to turn inside out...called rectal prolapse. This, as you can imagine, is not a good thing to have happen.
Because she is meowing (which can be an indication of pain) and her anus is as swollen and protruded as you describe, I must recommend that you take her to an emergency clinic tonight. They should evaluate her for possible worm impaction, and if this is the case...they can help her to pass the worms and stool that have built up in her rectum and therefore avoid rectal prolapse.
I hope that this is of help to you, and that your kitten feels better soon. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. K's Post: How serious is rectal prolapse & how complicated is the proceedure? I hate to sound insensitive, but the emergency clinic we have here took my employee's cat in (was having an issue urinating)a week ago, diagnosed a common issue w/feline urinary tract issues and charged her $600. She still had to take her cat to the vet the next day for the vet to treat her for this. She urinated a day or so later, but this is unreal. Can we avoid this and take her into the vet tomorrow morning? What are the risks, long term effects etc. of rectal prolapse. What would the clinic do to help her pass this?
What they are likely going to do at the clinic is give her a safe warm-water enema and then manually manipulate the stool to soften it up and ease it that she does not prolapse her rectum from excessive pushing. This will certainly be less expensive, then if she were to actually prolapse her rectum and have to have surgery to place it back inside (that is if they could get it back inside), and suture it in place. Many kittens and puppies who prolapse their rectums need repeated surgery if the first one doesn't take. Also, if the kitten prolapses their rectum it is not treated promptly, parts of the mucosa can die and then need more extensive surgery. Recovered animals with this condition, can also later have problems with strictures forming inside of their rectum, that then need to be surgically removed. So, really it is best to avoid the whole thing altogether.
If you don't take her in tonight, and want to wait until morning, she certainly may not prolapse her rectum completely overnight. But then again, she might. There really is no way for me to my best feeling about this is that it is better to be safe than sorry. If I were able to examine her myself, then I could give you a more definitive answer on how in danger she was of prolapse.
I hope that this helps you with your decision.

Dr. K
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thank you for your help and advice! A great service to make informed decisions.
You are very welcome. I hope that your kitten feels better soon.

Dr. K