Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

Why does my cat have a musty smelling urine

My cat urinates more outside of the litter box than inside and the urine has a musty smell, not the typical pungent cat urine smell.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for your patience. I'm sorry no one had answered your question earlier.

When a cat begins urinating outside the litterbox, this may indicate a urinary or bladder infection, and if the smell has changed, this too, can indicate something is not right, physically.

It would be a good idea to have your cat evaluated in person, by the vet, and have her urine tested. If an infection is diagnosed, she'll be treated with the most appropriate antibiotics. If there's a different problem, the vet will let you know and she'll be treated for the condition found.

I hope all will be well.