Reani
Reani, Cat Care Expert
Experience:  20+ years experience with Cat Care and behavior problems, 3 years Pet Rescue
3350763

My cat has lost hair above each eye extending to the ear. I ...

My cat has lost hair above each eye extending to the ear. I have taken him to the vet. He does not have fleas or mites or any insect infestation. He also tested a hair follicle and that test came back negative. The vet is stumped and so am I. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi There!

What you are describing sounds like facial alopecia, which has no cause, but is also not harmful. It usually is more apparent in long hair cats, and is just a thinning of the hair from the ear to the eye. My Maine Coon has it too, and it is perfectly normal. To see a picture and for further information click the link below. the picture to the right is exactly what it sounds like you are referring to.

Link

I hope that helps put your mind at ease.

Warmest Wishes,

Reani

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you so much for the information. Is there any food that is better for him to be eating for his skin health? Is there an ingredient in the food to avoid? He does not seem bothered by the balding at all. It is reassuring to know that your cat has the problem and is healthy.

Hi Again!

I like natural foods, such as Natural Balance, but this condition is not known to be caused by diet...so I am sure he is just fine! If you have any concerns, let me know, I would be happy to discuss!

Warmest Wishes,

Reani