Theresa, A Voice for your Pet
Experience:  19+ years in animal medicine as a veterinary technician

what is the normal range for a cats white blood cell count

my cat has been sick alot lately and the vet said her white blood cell count was extremely low and he diagnosed her with a immune deficiancy. i was just wonderig what the normal range for a cat shoud be when it comes to their white blood cell count.

Normal white blood cell values range from 6000 - 19000/L. Even ranges as low as 4900 have been considered normal. You may see this as 6.0 x1000/L .

Here is some additional information for you:

Thank you

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Theresa's Post: i think the vet said that her white cell blood count was like 2.75 which he said was extremely low. he told me to get her some vitamins and try them for a month then re-test. do you have any other ideas?
Has your cat been tested for FIV? Was any other bloodwork drawn?

The WBC can be low when there is viral illness, bone marrow suppression, or isolated infection causing sepsis where a large portion the wbc isolate to this one particular area. I would definitely consider more testing and abdominal xrays. It would be a good idea to determine why her numbers are so low. She does need to be on antibiotics as a preventive to protect her from developing infection. I would also contact your vet about getting her started on Viralys (L-Lysine) which is an amino acid supplement that boosts the immune system.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
they did several test , i know they checked for lukemia and i think they said somekind of aids because we got her from a shelter.but they came back negative. what is a FIV? they put her on a antibiotic to treat her for a bladder infection because she has a little blood in her urine and she has been having accidents outside her litter box and licking her self alot. they told me that all he could thing of to start with trying to build up her immune system was vitamins.

FIV is Feline Immunodeficiency Virus or Feline AIDS. This was one of the tests your vet has likely performed. She should be on antibiotics as a preventive. I would also suggest Viralys in combination with the vitamin supplement. If your cat seems to continue to get worse then she should have further testing to determine the cause. If you recently got her from a shelter then feline distemper is also a possibility.

Panleukopenia in cats:

Please let me know if further assistance is needed.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yeah they did a aids test and it came back negative . we got her from a shelter when she was 2 months old, she is now 13 months and we she has not been sick since we got her until april then she got sick and it has been one thing after another. i will talk to my vet about the viraly u recommended thanks so much for your information it helped alot.