Micki
Micki, Expert in cat behavior and health
Experience:  Expert in cat medical and behavior issues.
2922194

is it alright to give my cat ciprofloxacin if so, what do ...

is it alright to give my cat ciprofloxacin? if so, what do you think is a proper dose for a cat?

Hello, Jukebox_hero

What reason are you wanting to use it for?

How much does your cat weigh?

Where did you get the medication, and what is the strength of it?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the cat is an outdoor cat and we think he got in a fight. he has a few lacerations we think from another cat. he weighs around 8 pounds. we haven't got the medication yet. we called and talked to the vet in town and he said that he would probably suggest that medicine, but i had never heard of giving an animal that antibiotic before, so that's why i'm asking. {not too many people think very highly of the vet and i'm just trying to get a second opinion before we take it}

Yes, that medication is ok for wounds regarding cats. It is a very broad spectrum antibiotic that can treat many things from urinary infections, respiratory infections, and wounds that are open to bacteria.

It is dosed by 5mg per pound of body weight.

If you can handle the cat, start flushing the wounds out a couple times a day as well with plain saline to keep it clean.