Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat is favoring one leg.

My cat is favoring one leg. He would let me look at it and I do not see a puncture wound or any difference between his other paw, but he seems dizzy and groggy. It seems to be the pad of his right front paw. He is an outdoor cat during the day and indoor at night. We live in a somewhat rural area. My first thought was he had been bitten by a snake.

Hi there,

Does the leg feel hot or cold?

Are the nail beds blue?

Does he have claws?

Are his eyes darting back and forth?

How long is he like this?

Is he eating?

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: The leg does not feel hot or cold

his nail beds are darker than normal and his nail are shredded. I always clip the very tips of his front paws when they are sharp. They were clipped last Wednesday.

his eyes are not darting

My husband noticed him about 2 yesterday afternoon. originally he would not come in the house, he finally came in around 8pm and went directly to our bed. When I got home around 9:30 he was very groggy and looked like he was in pain. He would let me lift his right paw, but not turn it to look at it and would meow when I would touch the bottom of the foot.

He is eating, and cannot make it into the litter box.

Dear friend,

It sounds like he may have been in a fight or fell out of a tree.Shreeded nails indicate defensive moves.

If you dont see any wounds they may be internal. He may also have ingested a toxin.

I dont think the groggyness is related unless he has a head injury but I do feel he should be seen ASAP.

Feel all over his body and look in his mouth for any abnormalities. If he was bitten you would see evidence in swelling or black necrotic tissue somewhere.

His inability to reach his box is another serious symptom.The only way to tie these things together is neurologically.

So I do suggest an immediate hands on vet exam

Please let me know what is found and how he is doing. I will be here all day waiting to hear from you.

I hope he will be fine.

Sincerest best wishes for him,

Terri

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: He has a broken leg. I think they said the ulna if that makes sense. They are going to sedate him and splint it. Thank you for all of your help.

Oh the poor guy!

Please let me know how he is doing.

Thanks for your accept,

Terri