Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for your Pet
Experience:  19+ years in animal medicine as a veterinary technician
1484153

What is metronidazole used for in cats and is it safe

What is metronidazole used for in cats and is it safe to give to a kitten? How large of a dosage can I give to a 1.4 lb kitten? My kitten is 9 weeks old and has diarrhea with blood in his stool. He is on amoxicillin for an upper respiratory infection and I believe that it or the recovery wet food he is eating is causing his condition. HELP!!!!!!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Theresa replied 8 years ago.

The dosage of metronidazole is 5.5-11.5mg per pound. At maximum this kitten could have 16mg of metronidazole which is an antibiotic/antidiarrheal/anti inflammatory for the gut. Yes, it is used to treat diarrhea and giardia. It is unlikely you have a pill small enough to even quarter to get the dose you need. If you do happen to have a 50mg tablet then she could have a quarter of a tablet.

Diarrhea with blood can be consistent with feline distemper or intestinal parasites in particular coccidia. It is possible that the amoxicillin is causing some issues as well. If you are able to dose with the metronidazole then I would stop the amoxicillin until you can talk to your vet tomorrow. I would still consider halting the amoxi no matter what but contact your vet first thing. At least this will give your kittens tummy a chance to settle down if it is related to the amoxicillin. I would be sure to take a stool sample into your vet to evaluate for intestinal parasites.

http://www.critterchat.net/giardia_fands.htm Take a look at the link below for dosage information.

Please let me know if further assistance is needed.

Theresa

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Theresa's Post: I actually have liquid. Should I give a quarter of a ml?
Expert:  Theresa replied 8 years ago.
What is the concentration of the liquid? Does it say 50mg/ml?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Theresa replied 8 years ago.

Then yes, she would receive 1/4 cc of that dose.

Theresa

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you so very much!!!!!
Expert:  Theresa replied 8 years ago.

You are very welcome. Please don't forget to click accept if my question was helpful to you so that I can be reimbursed for my time.

Theresa