ERAnimalNurse
ERAnimalNurse, Emergency Critical Care Nurse
Experience:  16+ years of veterinary experience
7788723

Has my cat pulled a muscle

Customer Question

About 5 days ago our 10 month old kitten came home limping and wouldn''t eat or drink anything for 24 hours. We took him to the vet the following day and were told he had probably been in a cat-fight and had been bitten in his back legs and they had gotten infected so Vet gave him an antibiotic injection in the nape of his neck.

Four days later he now seems to be his normal chirpy self and eating fine, however he cannot jump and doesn''t seem to want to spring up from his back legs. He doesn''t seem to show any pain when i touch his legs, do you think he could have pulled a muscle or ligment? I''m not sure whether to take him back to the vet or let it heal on it''s own, I know if a human pulls a muscle it can take quite a while to heal. Any advice would be very much appreciated!
Many thanks,
Suzy
Category: Cat
Expert:  ERAnimalNurse replied 9 years ago.

Hi there,

I am sorry your kitty is having trouble. Cats can pull muscles, and they can experience muscle spasms, but I do not think this is what is going on. I think that your kitty would be having this difficulty from the beginning if he had pulled something. I am worried that there may be some abscesses forming, or that there was some soft tissue or bony involvement. It is not good that a young cat does not want to jump, and I think that further investigation is needed. Another exam may be all that is necessary, or some pain medicines or anti-inflammatory medicines may make a world of difference. But, some x-rays may also be necessary. Injectable antibiotics are fine, but they do not last long enough to be of use. It is necessary for daily oral dosing, for a course of 7-21 days depending on the infection. And discomfort should always be addressed.

I do think another trip to the vet would be a good idea if you are able. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. If this has been helpful, please hit the green accept button. Best of luck with your kitty!!