Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

How can you tell if your cat has Mange

My tom cat has 3 ten pence piece size bold patches at the back of its neck between the shoulder blades which has popped up one by one all of a sudden, each area has a small wound, there is no redness,or scabbing. there doesn''t seem to be any regrowth of hair. should i worry or has he just caught that area on something?

Hi there,

I am sorry your boy is not feeling well.

Cats dont get actual Mange but they do get Scabies which is treated with a shot of Ivermectin.

Fortunately cats do not get as many skin conditions as dogs so they are much easier to diagnose and treat. They can be allergic reactions, fungus or infection.

Here is the most common with photos:

Stud tail:and feline acne

Miliary Dermatitis:

Hot spots:

Ringworm can be recurrent and is treated with a topical fungicide or a vaccine shot.

miliary dermatitis can come from a food allergy or the bite of even ONE flea.This is treated with one cortesone shot or neosporen it is safe it he licks a bit.

Granuloma is also usually allergic in nature and can be treated cortesone or antibiotics or both.

There is also alopecia which is usually symmetrical and can be self inflicted:

A staph infection is also a possibility and can recur at times when the immune system is weakened temporarily.

Please look at the photos and let me know which best relates to your cats issues and I will be happy to discuss this further with you.

Sincerest best wishes,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
sadly none of the above photo or descriptions match my cat problem.
He has no dry scaling patches or redness, it does not seem to irritate him. there is only a small scratch in each bold patch, all three patches lie either just above his shoulder blades and at the back of the neck so not easy to get to. would this just likely to be that he has either been in a fight or caught himself on some barb wire as these patches were NOT gradual one day last week 2 patches were there and this morning i noticed 1 more....

Hi there,

Yes, it is possible that he rubbed himself somewhere. Treat the patches with neosporen three times a day It is safe if he licks any.

Keep an eye on him for any worsening or spreading of the rash.

Please let me know how he is doing.

Best wishes for him.