Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian

my cat has blood in his right eye and i think he might of ...

my cat has blood in his right eye and i think he might of ran into something playing with my other cat. how serious is it???
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
Where is the blood located?
Is the white part of his eye (the sclera) red and blood shot looking?
Is he holding his eye partially closed?
Does he rub or swat at his eye?
Is he blinking it excessively?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
His whole eye seems red...a cloudy red. I cannot see any green although the red is paler on one side than the other. He is not rubbing it at all but it's not open as wide as usual, either. There is not blinking other than the normal blink here and there. In fact he is eating fine, purring normally and just the same old cat he has always been.

His eye was not red yesterday at all and I think that it is the suddeness that bothers us.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
You mean that you see redness on the white part of the eyeball, and on the actual inside of the eye where the colored iris is?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. K's Post: Yes.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
This sounds pretty serious. I must recommend that you take your cat into a veterinarian for an evaluation right away. Redness in the center of the eye and the surrounding eyeball is most likely from a traumatic incident and needs immediate attention. This is most definitely painful.
What may have happened is that your cat has a puncture to his cornea, or has somehow bruised the inside of his eye which caused internal bleeding. He needs to have the pressure in his eye checked, as glaucoma is common after a traumatic incident, and could result in blindness if left untreated. Also, it is extremely painful.
The sooner that your cat is treated, the better chance he will have of not having any permanent damage to the eye.
I hope that this information is helpful to you, and that your cat gets better soon. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How will he show that he is in pain? I expected him to hide or growl when I tried to look at his eye and he didn't do anything. He let me pull his lid back and apply a little pressure to see if there was swelling and he was fine with that.

Just curious. We have an appointment with our vet tomorrow morning.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
Eye pain is usually shown by increased blinking, holding of the lids partially closed, and swatting at the eye. However, in cats, pain can be harder to ascertain than with dogs, as cats tend to be very stoic...even when in large amounts of pain.
Unfortunately, without me being able to examine your cat myself, I cannot give you an idea of what this is most likely to be. My main concern here is that if he does have a puncture to the cornea, or if he is having glaucoma, if this is not acted on immediately, he may lose his vision. In many cases of glaucoma, the animal will need to have their eyeball removed if treatment isn't instituted quickly.