Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

Hello, my cat is drooling profusely; his lower jaw is ...

Hello, my cat is drooling profusely; his lower jaw is shuddering and he is very lethargic. Looks like he''s sweating as well, all since this morning.....Any idea''s
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. K replied 6 years ago.
Hi Bryan,
Has your cat had any vomiting?
Does he have any access to any household toxins?
Can he walk normally?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dr. K's Post: no vomiting that we know of; no toxins accessible indoors; leo is not fixed and he does go outside in the evenings. his walking appears to be normal and he is very vocal at the door wanting to go outside.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 6 years ago.
Excessive drooling (ptyalism) can be caused by a few different things in cats. They include:

Nausea
Foreign Body (like a piece of string, or sewing needle) caught in the mouth
Cancer of the mouth
Tooth root infections (abscesses)
Gingivitis or stomatitis--secondary to periodontal disease, FeLV infection, viral upper respiratory infection, immune-mediated diseases
Hepatoencephalopathy (Neurologic disease secondary to liver problems)
Neurologic or functional disorder of the pharynx (throat)
Salivary gland diseases
Uremic Ulcers (secondary to kidney disease)
Hiatal hernia
Gastric Ulcers
Neurologic disorders
Toxic Ingestion (household cleaning products, common household plants)
Eating something of disagreeable taste
Animal venom (Bufo toad poisoning)

As you can see, the list is quite long. Because you are reporting that your cat is lethargic, and that his lower jaw is "shuddering", I am a bit concerned that he may have ingested something toxic outside while roaming. I am also concerned about the "sweating" that you are reporting. I do not know why your cat would look this way...as cats do not have sweat glands...they do not sweat. This makes me wonder if there is something on him that he picked up outside, that is causing the problem.
For these reasons, I recommend that you go in for a physical examination to be evaluated for the possibility of any of these problems at an emergencly clinic tonight. If this is a toxic ingestion, he will really need help as soon as possible in order to have the best outcome.

I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with your kitty. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years experience as Veterinarian