Reani, Cat Care Expert
Experience:  20+ years experience with Cat Care and behavior problems, 3 years Pet Rescue

My black and white tuxedo cats black fur has turned ...

Customer Question

My black and white tuxedo cat''s black fur has turned reddish-brown, and he has loss his appitite and is acting sluggish. Please help!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Reani replied 8 years ago.
Good Morning,

Most people would just cahalk this up to age, but bravo to you for noticing! This usually means a deficiency of some kind that affects the levels of tyrosine which is an amino acid. It can signify a thryroid, liver or kidney problem. Given your cats age, I am leaning toards a thryoid issue which is easily treatable.

The first step is to have his tyroid tested with a t4 panel to see how his levels are and if there is something not right, medication can regulate it.

If he is not eating normal amounts, there could be liver involvement (also something he can recover from) depending on how long he has gone without food, and if there is frequent or high levels of urination, the kidneys should be checked as well.

Here is an article on causes of black hair turning brown that you may find interesting.

Please let me know how this goes. I'll be thinking of you both!

Warmest Wishes,