Micki
Micki, Expert in cat behavior and health
Experience:  Expert in cat medical and behavior issues.
2922194

why is my kitten sneezing after 3 courses of antibiotic

No Comment Added
Category: Cat
Expert:  Micki replied 8 years ago.

Hello, Skarp

How old is your kitten?

When did the sneezing start?

Any other symptoms like coughing, runny nose or runny eyes?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi:

My kitten is 3 months old. The breeder who I got her from said that a bug had swept through her nursery. She gave all the kittens a 13 day course of Zithromax (.40). She said that Reba was responding well to the treatment. Reba came, along with a 7 month old Himalain (spelling wrong). Both cats were sneezing. Both cats had runny eyes and stuffy noses. Frosty responded well to a coures of antibiotic (M something), but he still has a lot of discharge from nose and eyes (I think it is just the way himmys are). Reba is still very active. She eats drinks and plays. I went to the vet and got Zithromax to give all the kittens with effective doses due to size. I gave them two doses 48 hours apart.

Reba doesnt have a cough, but she has a HUGE amount of discharge from her eyes which is a brownish color. She doesn't have a runny nose, but there is a good bit of congestion in her nose.
Expert:  Micki replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for the extra information, and giving a better understanding of the situation.

There are a few ways to approach this.

1. Since she was on antibiotics at the nursery, and your vet gave more of the same antibiotic after you adopted her, she may have just become resistant to the meds. This is very common when an antibiotic was not given long enough or in a strong enough mg dosage the first time.

The bacteria does not get completely killed, and comes back stronger than ever before and immune to the medication that was used.

The best thing to do for this is take the cat of all antibiotics for at least 2 weeks, and then try a different medication like Baytril or Clavamox.

The cat may not have a bacterial infection. She have contracted a herpes virus from the other cats in the nursery. Feline herpes is a virus that will come and go the entire life of the cat. It causes all the symptoms you are seeing. The best to deal with it is by strengthening the immune system.

You can do this by using L-Lysine or colloidal silver.

Talk with your vet about Feline Herpes virus. That is a big possibility here. Here is an article about feline herpes virus type 1 (FHV-1).

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1344&articleid=2733

Sincerely, Micki