Lynn, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  worked at a vet clinic for 18 yrs, BA in biology, experience with cats for 20+ years

Why does my cats hair fall out in chunks

No Comment Added

Are there any bald spots at all? Is this a long haired or short haired cat? How long has he been doing this?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
He does have one bald spot. We had to leave him with a sitter for a week, and I wasn't sure if stressed caused his bald spot or something else. He has long hair, but not real long. He started doing this a month ago.
Sorry for the delay- does the skin look normal on the bald spot, or is it inflammed, crusty, etc?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I looks normal. he doesn't have any visible problems except his hair falling out.

There are a number of reasons that cats will shed abnormally. Some of them include hyperthyroidism, cushing's disease, mange, ringworm, and many more. Here is a link to a page with a chart describing different causes of hair loss to help you narrow it down since you can see your cat and I can't:

To get a definite diagnosis you will need to take him to your veterinarian. It is possible that your cat is just shedding excessively with no underlying cause, but if he were mine I'd like to rule out the possible medical problems for sure.

If you have further questions let me know. If you find this answer helpful please click accept. Thank you.