Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My cat is trying to have a bowel movement and cant. I ...

My cat is trying to have a bowel movement and can''t. I can tell he is hurting from it because he meows (crys) at times when he is trying.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.

If your cat has not had a bowel movement within the last 24 hours, considering his age and his straining, without producing anything, it would be a good idea to have him evaluated by the vet, and helped to move his bowels.

For the moment, you can offer him a small amount of canned cat food, with a teaspoon of mineral oil (or vegetable oil, if you don't have mineral oil) mixed in, and this may help. You can also offer him 1 oz. of milk to drink, and also encourage more drinking of water, if he's not doing that on his own. You can add some water to his canned food, if he eats canned. If you have any hairball remedies in the house, like Petromalt or Laxatone, give him a 2 inch strip of that.

If this becomes a recurring problem, adding 1 teaspoon of plain canned pumpkin (not pie filling) to a small amount of canned food, daily, will add beneficial natural fiber to his intestinal tract and help keep him regular. You might also elect to sprinkle a small amount of Metamucil on his food. (don't do this with everything else, try one suggestion at a time). However, since he's straining now, your vet will be able to either administer medication to help him go, or give him an enema. This should only be done by the vet (enema). The cause of his intestinal obstruction must be determined, as it may just be impacted (very dry) stool, with hair, or he may have ingested a non-food object which is causing an obstruction.

I hope your cat is feeling more comfortable, very soon!

Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience: Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience