Micki
Micki, Expert in cat behavior and health
Experience:  Expert in cat medical and behavior issues.
2922194

How to induce cat labor?

Okay, give it a couple days. Try to encourage exercise as much as possible. That is the only way to help induce labor safely for cats. We can't do many of the things we do to help induce labor in humans such as spicy foods and similar old wives’ tales.

Exercise will help.

The only drug that can safely induce labor in cats is a prescription called oxytocin.

Believe me I have seen many cats during pregnancy and ready to pop. They get huge and look like it you poked them with a pin they would just pop in an instant. That is normal.

Take her temperature. When a cat's body temp drops to 98-99 degrees, that means they are ready. The body temp drops when they enter stage one labor, and kittens are usually 24 hours away.

Also watch for her nipples to start secreting milk. That happens 24-48 hours before delivery.

Get her moving though. It will help induce labor. Play with her, get her to walk or run about the house a bit.

Read full interaction below »

Question

How can I induce my cat’s labor?

Category: Cat
Expert:  Micki replied 9 years ago.

Do you know if she past her due date? or past 70 days of gestation?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Yes, this is right about her due date.

Expert:  Micki replied 9 years ago.

Exercise will help.