Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert

how long after giving birth should the mother cat have

how long after giving birth should the mother cat have a bowel movement. The stray cat had a litter of 6 three days ago. She has been with me for the last 2 days now and she hasn''t gone yet. I have her in a large cage with plenty of room for her, the kittens , food, water and new litter pan and litter. I also have let her out to see if che would go in the yard. She scratches in the dirt and squats down but nothing happens and she is mewing the whole time like she is calling for her kittens. She does''nt seem to be in pain. She has urinated because the blankets were wet when I changed them but, she hasn''t urinated in the litter box either, or in the yard either.

Thanks for posting your question. It's not uncommon to see them go for 48 hours or longer after giving birth. Keep in mind that the body normally evacuates feces prior to deliver and during delivery because of the straining.

You also have to keep in mind that she may be keeping her den clean by eating it.

My suggestion would be that you use a one inch strip of laxatone applied to her paw and let her lick it off. Or 2 tsp of canned pumpkin added to her meals. But it sounds like you're already doing that.

I would just keep a close eye on it and see your vet if you have concerns. But it's pretty normal.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you very much. I went to let her out to let her get some time away from the kittens since they were sleeping. Of course our wonderful stray went to our neighbors yard and deposited in the new mulch they put around their trees. I went and cleaned up and everything seemed normal.

Your help was great. I am not as stressed out as much and can relax now. Now it is waiting 8 weeks so they can be put up for adoption. We are going to keep the momma kitty and she is now known as Puss Puss. SHE WILL BE SPAYED FOR SURE SINCE SHE HAS OFFICALLY BEEN ADOPTED.

Thanks again for your help