Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

Customer Question

MY CAT JUST THREW UP, AND THERE WERE LONG, WHITE WORMS IN HER VOMIT. She has been sneezing over the past week. Is she contagious to humans??? I will take her to the vet...what do you think is wrong with her?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 8 years ago.

Hi Gail,

I am sorry your baby is not feeling well.

I think we are dealing with two different things here. Neither are contagious to humans.

1. here are pictures of worms so you can identify them:

2. she may have an upper respiratory infection:

All cats carry upper respiratory virus on their own fur. Cats that live together become immune to the carried strain but as soon as the bacterium is exposed to another cat it will infect them. If this baby was exposed to other cats she likely contracted it from them or stress.

Feed her very odorous food so she can smell it and will keep eating. If she gets dehydrated, give her a few droppers of unflavored pedialyte througout the day to hydrate her and balance her electrolytes.

She can have an OTC called clortrimeton - a quarter tablet every 12 hours if she is congested. You can also take her in a steamy bathroom where you have run a hot shower to break it up.For any teary eyes get Terramycin ointment. some pet supplies have it but call first or order from

If she develops any colored mucus that means the infection has turned bacterial and will respond to an antibiotic.Some vets script one even if it is viral to prevent secondary infections like pneumonia.Take a freh stool sample to the vet when you go.

Please let me know how she is feeling. If you get worried I will always be here to help further.

I hope she feels better very soon.

Very sincerely,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Expert:  Terri replied 8 years ago.

Hi Gail,

Humans and cas CANNOT catch colds from each other. The germs can only affect the same host like person to person or cat to cat.

As far as worms the only way a person could get them from an animal is to ingest stool. No adult would ever do that.

Thanks for your accept. Sending as an IR so you are not charged again

Very sincerely,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Dear Just Awnser Site, Please notify some pictures of the worms that you think are in my cat. Thank you. That would help a lot! Also, I was wondering if worms from a contagious. Please awnser back!
From: Gail
Expert:  Terri replied 8 years ago.

Hi Gail,

Those sound like roundworms - see here:

I promise they are NOT contagious to you!

Bes regards,