Theresa, A Voice for your Pet
Experience:  19+ years in animal medicine as a veterinary technician

Cat has really foul smelling stools. What could be ...

Cat has really foul smelling stools. What could be possible reasons?

Are the stools normal otherwise?

No blood? solid? Not too hard or too soft?

What type of food are you feeding?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Theresa's Post: No visible blood in stools. Stools can be best described as mushy piles--not formed but not really diarrhea. Per local vet we are feeding cat "kitten food" to help him gain some weight. Using brands Innova, Evo, Triumph, and Wellness.

One thing I would like for you to do is having at least one more stool sample checked on him. There are protozoan infections like giardia and coccidia that can be difficult to find under the microscope in a vets office mostly because these are shed at different intervals. One can be negative one day and then positive the next. You might even ask the vet to consider sending home a wormer called Albon and Flagyl for the loose stools to see if this corrects the problem. I believe it will with him being a stray at one time this is very likely an issue.

The other issue you have here is that kitten food in an adult cat can cause some intestinal problems including the loose stools and since this is such a dramatic change from what he used to be eating birds, mice, etc it can take some time for his digestive tract to adjust to it. Since you are not seeing his ribs as well anymore you might just want to switch him over to adult food now because cats who are indoors can plump up rather quickly anyway.

One other thing you can do to help is add some plain uncultured yogurt to his food once a day. This will help to replace the bacterial flora to his gut and MAY improve the consistency of his stools.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Forgot to advise that he has tested negative for giardia but have not tested for coccidia. While I can certainly switch him to adult food and also add some yogurt daily to his food, I got to remembering that two cats I had in the past, who lived well into seniorhood, each developed the same "mushy piles" for stools as they got older (say 15+) even though they had no dietary or lifestyle changes. I'm not terribly familiar with feline pathophysiology and so was wondering whether such a substantial change in stool quality might have any relation to declining kidney or liver function, or digestive processes such as pancreatic or biliary function.

The simpliest issue to rule out would be the coccidia. However, one condition that can cause these soft serve stools is hyperthyroidism. Other symptoms you may notice is an increase in appetite and weight loss. If you are up for it you might want to consider testing for this. Liver disease also causes soft stools but in most cases when you are to this point you will also notice jaundice, no appetite and vomiting. Diarrhea is unlikely in kidney disease.