Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Why do cats stop drinking water or eating their food My ...

Customer Question

Why do cats stop drinking water or eating their food? My cat is only one year old. For the past 36 hrs. she shows no interest in food or water. She is very tired and just wants to lay down away from people. She looks tired and wants to detach. We have two other cats and a dog. They all seem fine. This little one does not have her usual energy. I know she does not feel normal. Can you help? Thank You, Norm.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 6 years ago.

Dear Norm,

No, this is not right at all.

Cats do not have whims like people. Whenever they stop eating they are either ill or in pain. If she has no other symptoms like fever, diarrhea, constipation, infection, etc then here is something going on that is difficult to ascertain - but it exists nevertheless. Sometimes a cat can have an abscessed tooth or root that is in the gum.They can ingest a piece of plastic that in not perceivable in an xray. They can be mildly dehydrated or have a metabolic or organic imbalance that is too slight to read on a test. She may also feel nauseated.

If your cat is not diabetic put a drop of pancak syrup in her mouth to raise her blood sugar - then begin by giving her two droppers (cc size) of unflavored pedialyte every ten minutes for an hour. Next water down(plain water) canned cat food or baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic and give only one dropper every ten minutes for another hour. Wait two hours and repeat both. When she feels hydrated she will lick up the gruel on her own.

Boil chicken or fish as the scent of food cooking awakens the appetite sensor in the brain.

If she will not take the dropper feeds she needs immediate vet attention.

Please get started ASAP and let me know how things are going. I will stand by to hear from you and help further.

Very sincerely,

Terri

Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience: Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: Terri, I have a vet appt. at 9:40 so I will let you know what the vet said. Is children's pedialite OK to use for this small cat? Thank You, Norm.
Expert:  Terri replied 6 years ago.

Yes, chidrens pedialyte is fine.

You can also use tuna water for hydration.

Since it has been a few days she may need subQ fluids by now,

Please write the second you get home and let me know how she is.

Best wishes,

Terri

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: Terri, Kenzie is still at the vets office. She is giving the doctor a hard time by refusing to let him draw blood. The vet wants to test for feline leukemia and anything else that he might see from the bloodwork. She tested OK at about 3-4 months of age but he wants to test again now that she is older and he can get a more conclusive read. Kenzie has a fever of 104.3 but the vet says that right now he cannot make a positive determination of the cause of her condition. He felt her organs, looked in her eyes & ears, checked her heart beat and one or two other things. I will find out more when the vet is able to draw some blood and analyze it. He said it is a quick test so we should know something by about 12:30 or so. I can get back to you later on. Thank You, Norm.
Expert:  Terri replied 6 years ago.

Hi Norm.

A fever of that magnitude suggests an infection.

Tell him to chek for an abscessed tooth and a urinary tract infection or uterine if she is not spayed.

I hope the tests will be negative.Talk to you later.

best wishes,

Teri

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Teri, We have our precious Kenzie home now. I mentioned to the vet what you had suggested and guess what! The cat is being treated for an early stage infection of unknown origin with Clavamox 15mL oral suspension drops twice daily. Kenzie had a white blood cell count of 1800. The vet felt it was necessary to do the health profile (lab work & testing) on her due to the lack of a history of the mother of this cat. Our Kenzie is spayed and is a house cat and is well cared for. I have no history of the mother cat. The vet is Bo J. Rog at "The Cat Clinic" in Lakewood, Ohio. And we owe him thanks. My 9 year old grandson and myself that is. But it is to you whom we send our love to for holding our hands thru this most trying and heartfelt of days for your continuous responses to our calls for help and your kind words of comfort. We were so worried for her welfare and the risk that she might have leukemia. I didn't know how I was going to tell RJ if the news was bad. This is his first pet and he loves her more than anything in the world. This afternoon he was telling me that he would give up all of his toys if Kenzie would not be sick anymore. That's all I needed to hear. I've been hiding the tears from him ever since. So thanks again, we love you. Me, RJ and Kenzie. -- Norm.
Expert:  Terri replied 6 years ago.

Dear Norm,

I am so glad it was nothing serious. Kenzie just has an infection that will be cleared up with the clavamox.It may be a bad tooth so keep an eye on her for any mouth pawing.

Make sure she eats, baby food if necessary

I will be here all weekend so just write to me if you get worried.

Thanks for your accept! sending as an IR so you are not charged again.

Huggs,

Terri