Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  11 years experience as Veterinarian

My cat has bald spots on her back area by her tail and ...

My cat has bald spots on her back area by her tail and under her belly and back of back legs, I think its from her icking or biting it off, why do you think she is doing this? She doesn''t have feas.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. K replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer
Is your kitty on a monthly flea preventative? If so, which one? When was it last applied?
Is the skin in the affected areas normal looking, or does it look red, rashy or irritated?
For how long has she been having these symptoms?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
she looks normal..no redness at all. Its been about 3 months, it gets worse then better, honestly it looks like we shaved the underneath of her, its wierd. No she isn't on flea meds she has been in the past however she is an indoor cat and never goes out.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 6 years ago.
The most common reason that a cat is going to constantly mow at their fur is flea infestation. Your veterinarian should thoroughly evaluate your cat for the presence of fleas, and the kitty should be on a monthly safe and effective flea preventative such as Advantage, Frontline, or Revolution. Although the weather has turned colder outside, fleas can live inside of the house. In addition, if your kitty is allergic to flea saliva (as many cats are), then the presence of just one flea will drive her absolutely crazy. In some cases, cats can cause themselves a secondary bacterial infection in their skin (pyoderma) which needs to be treated with oral antibiotics for several weeks.
Other common causes of this behavior in cats are feline scabies, cheyletiella and food allergy hypersensitivity. Scabies and cheyletiella are both mite infections that can be diagnosed with a test at the veterinarian called a skin scraping. This is treated with oral or injected ivermectin given over the course of several weeks. Food allergy is evaluated for with response to treatment with an exclusion diet and sometimes with corticosteroids.
In some cases, cats do this activity as an anxiety or compulsive disorder. This usually responds to treatment with serotonin reuptake inhibitors such as fluoxetene and paroxetine. In some cases tricyclic antidepressants such as amitriptyline are efficacious.
I hope that this information is of help to you, and that you feel better equipped to ask appropriate questions of your veterinarian. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience: 11 years experience as Veterinarian