osupetdoc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing Cat Veterinarian; No online consultation can replace a veterinary examination.

How often should Depo-Medrol be administered to a cat

How often should Depo-Medrol be administered to a cat? Ours has allergies and now has spots where itching has caused a ''bare spot''. We have used Depo on vet recommendation to handle allergy issues which presented nasal discharge, sneezing & difficulty breathing through nose.
Category: Cat
Expert:  osupetdoc replied 8 years ago.
This depends a lot on how long it works for your cat. Personally I try only to use it every 4-6 months and sparingly at that. Some cats, however, I am forced to use it more frequently. Personally, it's not my favorite for allergies as once I give it, I can't get it back and have to deal with any side effects for 2-6 months.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to osupetdoc's Post: Any comments on the 'de-furred' area? This is the second one. The first one was cured using anti-fungal cream, although not sure if it just desensitized the area or if it was appropriate.
Expert:  osupetdoc replied 8 years ago.
That's always a tough one, certainly a cat with ringworm can present like this in which case anti-fungal cream would work for the specific area, but wouldn't rid the cat of ringworm. Of course, it could also be due to allergies in which case the depo helped, but they will keep coming back if you don't address the underlying allergy.