ProudArmyWife
ProudArmyWife, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  21+ years exp. with pet loving/pet owning, veterinary technician, specialist in cat behavior
8847022

I spilled brake fluid and i didnt realize but some of ...

Customer Question

I spilled brake fluid and i didn''t realize but some of it splashed on my cat. About ten minutes later i picked her up and saw it on her and bathed it off of her, but I''m not sure if she licked any of it off. what symptoms should i look for? And what should I do?
Category: Cat
Expert:  ProudArmyWife replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer

You should take her to the vet to get examined just to be on the safe side. The symptoms you should look for are any abnormal behavior or even vomitting, coughing, sneezing, or abnormal stool. If so definatly get her to the vet so that it doesn't get into a bigger issue if untreated. If you have any further questions please ask.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Have you had experience with cats licking brake fluid before? I do intend to bring her to a vet tomorrow but I'm concerned about tonight.
Not personally, no. My cats are indoor only. But I've had clients come in with their animals where they have gotten into toxic fluids/chemicals or have digested them. In my honest opinion I would take her to the vet tonight if at all possible. I would.
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 8 years ago.

Hi there,

Sorry to jump in here but I felt it was urgent to mention that brake fluid contains ETHYLENE GLYCOL!

http://www.warcopro.com/spanish/pages/brakefluid-pdf.html

I am a vet and I have personally treated cats with this poisoning. It is highly toxic! If a cat were to walk through a puddle of ethylene glycol (in antifreeze) and then lick his paws this would be sufficient to kill him. It destroys the kidneys.

You need to take your cat to a vet immediately so they can make the cat vomit. There is an antidote but it must be administered within 6 hours of ingestion to be effective.

Here is more information:

http://www.petplace.com/cats/ethylene-glycol-toxicosis-in-cats/page1.aspx

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX your cat did not lick any off her fur but it is SO toxic that I am very worried about her.

How is she doing? How long ago did the splash happen?

Fiona

It is pretty obvious that brake fluid would be toxic to animals if digested. Hence why I said, take cat to the vet if at all possible tonight.
Thanks Laughing