Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

Why does my cat have large bald spots from ears to eyes

The long-haired cat we recently inherited is approximately 8-9 yrs old and is indoor/outdoor.

He has 2 oblong bald patchs that run from his ears almost down to his eyes.

One of his ears looks okay inside, the other has some black specks (ear mites?) However, we have not seen him scratch that area.

We''re on a budget, but are concerned about his well-being.

He mainly eats canned "Fancy Feast" which we supplement with a dry granular ABADY SUPPLEMENT.

This ABADY Supplement makes his coat soft and fluffy, but the bald spots remain.

This cat is also known to visit/eat at neighbors'' homes. We do not know what he eats there.

Short of taking him to the vet, what should we do?

We also have taken photos of the cat, which we can e-mail, if necessary.

Thank you,

I would be happy to view your photos but please tell me if you see your cats lesions here:

Fortunately cats do not get as many skin conditions as dogs so they are much easier to diagnose and treat. They can be allergic reactions, fungus or infection.

Here is the most common with photos:

Stud tail:and feline acne

Miliary Dermatitis:

Hot spots:

Ringworm can be recurrent and is treated with a topical fungicide or a vaccine shot.

miliary dermatitis can come from a food allergy or the bite of even ONE flea.This is treated with one cortesone shot or neosporen it is safe it he licks a bit.

Granuloma is also usually allergic in nature and can be treated cortesone or antibiotics or both.

There is also alopecia which is usually symetrical and can be self inflicted:

A staph infection is also a possibility and can recur at times when the immune system is weakened temporarily.

Please look at the photos and let me know which best relates to your cats issues and I will be happy to discuss this further with you.

Very sincerely,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hello Terri,

My Cat does not seem to have any of the lesions in the photos above.

It is just baldness from the ear to the eyes--no crustiness underneath, sores or anything else. As I mentioned, there ARE black specks inside his right ear.

Three (3) years ago, our other cat, a grey tabby died at age 17 from hyperthyroid. She also had bald spots in front of her ears, but not as large as my current cat, Samm Samm.

We have old carpeting in this house (which we rent), so I am wondering if that also might be part of the cause?

Thank you,

Can you post the pic?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

If I had to choose one from the list, I would say his baldness most resembles the alopecia.

Here are the photos. (two in one). Please let me know if you have trouble viewing them.

Thank you,Photos

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

2nd Try  -- Photo

Here's the photo. Apparently the first one was too large.

Thank you,

Hi Cathy,

For some reason the photos are not showing up.

It is normal to see some hair loss in that area as cats age.

Any fleas of earmites will cause thinning as well.

Try a product called Revolution. It kills fleas, earmites, worms etc.

Apply a bit of vaseline to the balding areas.

Please let me know how that works out.

Thanks for your accept. Sending as an info request so you are not charged again.

Best regards always,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post:

Thanks so much! I will keep you in mind for our next cat question!

You are very welcome. It is my pleasure to help someone as lovely as you and your sweet baby.

I will always be here for both of you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hello Terri,

I have added $11 in funds for you.

Could you please phone in a prescription for the Revolution for Cats 5-15 lbs, in order to expedite the process?

We did not realize a prescription was required, and can only get something in 2-3 from Australia (Canada firms ship from Australia).

Thank you,

Catherine M. Hurry

[email protected]

I wish I could but I am not a vet and even if I were no one is allowed to phone in a prescription on an animal they have not seen and examinined. It is against the law.

Most vets carry Revolution in their offices so you can pick it up there.

We do have a canadian vet that works here - so I will check with her to make sure no onlines in Canada sell it without script - please stand by.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post:

Thank you. I thought you were a practicing vet. If I go to a vet's office, won;t they insist upon an examination?

We live in Southern California.

Very Sincerely,

Hi Catherine,

I'm sorry if I confused you. I work for a vet.

If you have a regular vet where your boy gets shots they will give it to you.However, he will look in the ears and tell you if there are mites or not.

Some peope kill them with two drops of olive oil in each ear every three days.

He may not even have ear mites but if he goes outside he should have a monthly preparation on him to protect him from fleas, worms, ticks and mites. Revolution even gives heartworm protection. So it is a good buy.

Just tell them you only want the basic exam.

Let me know what happens.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Unfortunately, Samm Samm has been an outdoor cat since before we inherited him, so he does need the all-around protection. If he had been a kitten in my care, I would have been feeding him a much better quality food and keep him indoors.

Please accept my offer of $11. I appreciate your help.

Very sincerely,

Catherine (and Samm Samm)

Please accept my funds for today.

I agree that if Sam is an outdoor kitty he DOES need protection. Especially from heartworm.

I know what you mean. My 5 kitties are all indoors and I live in Florida.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX offer.

May God bless you!