Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Compassionate licensed veterinarian with >20 years experience with cats, dogs and pocket pets

my male cat has trouble urinating. what can i do to help ...

my male cat has trouble urinating. what can i do to help solve this problem. any medicine that can help?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 8 years ago.

Hi there and thanks for your question. If your male cat is having trouble urinating then this is a serious medical emergency and you need to see your vet immediately! Male cats have a tiny urethra which means that it is very susceptible to blocking. If he has any crystals in his urine they can block up the urethra and cause difficulties urinating.

If the cat is unable to urinate then the bladder gets fuller and fuller and is at risk for rupturing. Also, the increase in pressure causes serious problems with the kidneys.

A cat that is blocked that is not treated can die if not treated soon.

Your vet will determine if the bladder is full and will discuss options with you. If we have caught this early enough some cats will respond to medications prescribed by your vet. However, most need to be unblocked under anesthetic and kept in the hospital for a few days.

This is a very serious condition and needs to be addressed immediately!

I hope everything is ok!

I hope this information helps! If you have more questions regarding this problem, just hit reply. Or, if my answer is sufficient, then please hit accept. Thanks!

Dr. Marie.