ChristineLVT
ChristineLVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training
4329681

my cat just threw up three thin, spagetti-like worms of ...

my cat just threw up three thin, spagetti-like worms of different lengths. One is two inches and one is curled up and keeps uncurling and recurling. I am so concerned because i have 3 dogs, 4 parrots, a bunny and another cat. The cats and dogs sleep with us. Our 9 month dog came to us with worms and although very healthy, still has loose poops every few days.
Do I treat all of my animals? do I have to vacuum and steam everywhere ? I just had a hip replacement and am not in condition to do super-cleaning like that.
Thanks very much. i will go to the vet tomorrow and take the worms and the cat and some other animal''s stools too. Can i do anything tonight??
Nancy
Category: Cat
Expert:  ChristineLVT replied 6 years ago.

Hi Nancy-

I'm sorry to hear about your cat. It sounds like she vomited up some roundworms, which are one of the most common types of intestinal parasites. Cats and dogs are born with them, and can be contagious amongst the animals who are "loose" amongst each other (i.e. share a litter box, or have microscopic traces of stool traced in on their feet, etc). Generally, this stays confined amongst dogs and cats. They even have their own species that affect them (dogs vs cats) but one rarer kind can affect both. The most common type of roundworms seen in cats is not seen in rabbits, and I personally wouldn't excessively worry about your rabbit and this problem unless he/she is out loose frequently amongst the cats and is showing any problems. Same with your parrots. I would just take the one who vomited the roundworms to the vet along with the sample, and treat the 2 cats for this problem. You also may want to double check your pup has finished shedding all ova and no longer needs to be dewormed by bringing his sample as well. Cleaning like you state is not necessary; once passed, they can no longer live long as they are not feeding on the intestinal lining. A general vacuuming would suffice.

Best of luck, but let me know if I can help further with the worm issue.

Christine

Experience: Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I accept the answer, but am wondering also if the pets can continue to sleep in our bed? also do I worry about my 3 year old grandson coming over?
Thanks

As long as all of you, including your grandson, use standard cleaning methods and wash your hands after handling the animals and before eating (or anytime for a 3 year old after playing or petting animals), there's no need to worry. The parasite of most concern to humans is hookworms, which are not what you are seeing, not commonly spread between animals and people, but do exist and therefore cleaning up before eating or before a child can put their hands in their mouth is always important to remember.

Christine

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Could you address the other part of my question please? I am still quite concerned about the issue of the animals sleeping with us tonight. Also, could the redness in my 4 year old GSP be a symptom of worm infestation too.
Thanks by the way for the very helpful other information.

As stated above, there is no need to worry, the only way you could get this problem would be ingesting your cat's feces, which I don't see happening here. The passing worms are non-infectious and cannot harm you in any way.

The eye redness and lethargy sounds completely unrelated to any issue with intestinal parasites, and may be either allergy related or the start of an eye infection or upper respiratory issue.