Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech 35+ years working w/Cats
5071285

when a cat climbs a tall tree, how long could it take to come down

Our cat climbed a giant Oak tree yesterday. We have tried unsuccessfully to coax him down. Will he come down on his own?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Joan replied 8 years ago.

Sorry it took so long to get you an answer. Cats have their own agenda and all the coaxing in the world will not get them down if they do not want to budge. You can try leaving the cat some special food and observe from a distance to see if the Kitty decides to come down. Make sure that you leave something like tuna or salmon that has a strong odor to stimulate the senses. If this does not work you may have to contact the local ASPCA for some assistance to help get the kitty down. You want to be sure that he does not become dehydrated and weak from lack of food. I am sure the call of nature and the use of a ltter box will be getting him down, if the pungent aroma of the canned fish does't entice him down first. Joan

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Jav917's Post: How long should I wait before I ask for other assistance? We live in a mountainous community and services are limited not to mention a tight budget.
Expert:  Joan replied 8 years ago.

I would give it until early miday tomorrow and see if the kitty comes down. The Kitty may be coming down when not being observed and retreating back up the tree when onlookers are about. I hope that you can get some assitance to help retrieve the Kitty. Usually the food drive will finally bring them down, but it sounds like this guy is stubborn. Joan