Micki
Micki, Expert in cat behavior and health
Experience:  Expert in cat medical and behavior issues.
2922194

My cat just ate about 6 of a satin ribbon about ...

Customer Question

My cat just ate about 6" of a satin ribbon about 3/8" wide. He is 16 lbs and 2 yrs old. Should I make him throw-up and how do I do that?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Micki replied 8 years ago.

Hello, Beal

Do not make him throw up. You will need to take him into the vet. Ribbon can cause all kinds of problems. It is a very hard thing for them to pass on their own safely. Ribbon can form obstructions if left on its own to pass through. It can also cause cuts and lacerations in the throat or digestive tract, which can cause bleeding. If you see any hanging out of the mouth or rectum, DO NOT pull it out. You have no idea what it may be wrapped around, and pulling it could cause dramatic damage.

This is just one of those situations that there is no way around not going to the vet.

I hope it turns out ok.

Sincerely, Micki

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Micki's Post: This was a very soft material- type ribbon. He may have chewed it up before swallowing. what can you give a cat to make them throw up anyway?
Expert:  Micki replied 8 years ago.

My first responsibility your pet's health and is insuring that I give safe advice. Please understand that. I can not advise you to induce vomiting in this situation. That is only needed for toxic ingestion like antifreeze or some kind or poison; not foreign objects.