Pat, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of veterinary experience in private practice and emergency care

My diabetic cat is throwing up a lot. She eats again, do I ...

My diabetic cat is throwing up a lot. She eats again, do I need to give her another shot? Last night, she ate at 5 pm, got her shot at 5:15 pm, threw up at 7:30 pm, ate some more dry (Science Diet MD) food, then threw up again at 3:45 am.
Good morning,

The only way you know if you need to increase her insulin is to have a blood glucose drawn. Giving her more without knowing what her numbers are is VERY dangerous adn I would NOT recommend this at this time.

If you absolutely get to the vet but you can get to a drug store, you can purchase urine strips that will tell you if she has glucose in her urine. These can help the veterinarian who is monitoring her tell you what dose to give her.

Vomiting, of course can be caused by many things, and although I agree that her diabetes may be the culprit, if is not the only possibility.

I would highly encourage you to have her seen to have a blood glucose checked. This should be something that your vet can do very quickly and this is your best course of action.

I hope this helped.

Dr. Pat