Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

We took in a feral cat that has a really bad cough[at ...

We took in a feral cat that has a really bad cough[at times].She sounds like she is choking & I don''t want my other cats sick but it''s too cold to let her out.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 8 years ago.

How long is she in your home?

any sneezing?

is she eating?

any idea of her age?

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: She is in the house 24/7 since just before Christmas.No ide how old she is but she's huge.Yes,she sneezes till her nose is clear.She eats very well & sleeps on our bed with us.
Expert:  Terri replied 8 years ago.

Dear XXXXX,

She most likely has an Upper respiratory infection:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/feline_upper_respiratory.html

If she was NOT sneezing a cardiac or bronchial issue could be possible. A cat that is oudoors has a weak immune system so she could not fight it off. It may have turned into Pneumonia or brochitis a this point.

Keep her separated from your other babies as this can be contagious.

All cats carry upper respiratory virus on their own fur. Cats that live together become immune to the carried strain but as soon as the bacterium is exposed to another cat it will infect them. If this baby was exposed to other cats she likely contracted it from them or stress.

Feed her very odorous food so she can smell it and will keep eating. If she gets dehydrated, give him a few droppers of unflavored pedialyte througout the day to hydrate her and balance her electrolytes.

She can have an OTC called clortrimeton - a quarter tablet every 12 hours if she is congested. You can also take him in a steamy bathroom where you have run a hot shower to break it up.For the eyes get Terramycin ointment. some pet supplies have it but call first or order from http://www.revivalanimal.com/

If she developes any colored mucus that means the infection has turned bacterial and will respond to an antibiotic.Some vets script one even if it is viral to prevent secondary infections like pneumonia.

Please let me know how she is feeling. If you get worried I will always be here to help further.

I hope she feels better very soon.

May Gold bess you for taking her in!

Very sincerely,

Terri