Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

why do cats lick their fur off the insides of back legs and ...

Customer Question

why do cats lick their fur off the insides of back legs and lower stomach?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 8 years ago.

Sometimes when a cat persistantly licks at an area she has pain she is trying to relieve. Since your baby is 12, she may have a urinary tract infection that leads to burning. If that is the case give her one daily drop of unsweetened caranberry juice to reduce the PH of her urine.

She may also have a skin issue bothering her.

Fortunately cats do not get as many skin conditions as dogs so they are much easier to diagnose and treat. They can be allergic reactions, fungus or infection.

Here is the most common with photos:

Stud tail:and feline acne

Miliary Dermatitis:

Hot spots:

Ringworm can be recurrent and is treated with a topical fungicide or a vaccine shot.

miliary dermatitis can come from a food allergy or the bite of even ONE flea.This is treated with one cortesone shot or neosporen it is safe it he licks a bit.

Granuloma is also usually allergic in nature and can be treated cortesone or antibiotics or both.

There is also alopecia which is usually symetrical and can be self inflicted:

A staph infection is also a possibility and can recur at times when the immune system is weakened temporarily.

Please look at the photos and let me know which best relates to your cats issues and I will be happy to discuss this further with you.

I hope your baby feels better very soon.

Sincerest best wishes,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My katie doesn't have any redness or sores. She just looks like she licked her hair off. The two closest to her in the list you sent were "alopecia" and "Psychogenic (neurogenic) dermatitis", which was on the same website.
Expert:  Terri replied 8 years ago.

Hi Sheila,

In that case Katie may be having some pain in her tummy or be bored as those are OCD disorders.

If she is eating and pottying fine just give her the daily cranberry juice.

You can also make her a tube top from the sleve of an old shirt so she cannot get to it. Apply a litte neosporen in case something is annoying her there.It is safe if she licks any.

Thanks for your accept - sending as an info request so you are not charged again

Please let me know how your baby is doing.

Sincerest best wishes,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'll try those suggestions and let you know how it goes. thanks for your help.