Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for your Pet
Experience:  19+ years in animal medicine as a veterinary technician
1484153

What do elevated liver enzymes mean for a cat

Yesterday, my cat may have had a siezure. I am not sure that that was was happened, but her front paw was stuck on top of her head. She was aware of everything around her, but had difficulty walking and seemed to be in pain. We rushed her to the vets, but she was fine, and has been since. Blood tests revealed elevated liver enzymes. She is eating fine and has no other behavioral changes. Our vet suggested some kind of infection in the liver and suggested a course of antibiotics.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Theresa replied 6 years ago.

Did the vet run a thyroid profile on her?

Do you know if her white blood cells were elevated?

Do her gums or ears appear yellowish?

Did your vet send you home with any medications?

Is it possible that she has gotten into anything like plants or medication?

Theresa

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Theresa's Post: Gums and eyes were normal. He ran a geriatric blood screen on her. White blood was a little low on one test, but he felt it was not significant. Thyroid was normal. The only abnormality was the liver function.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No meds at this time but he suggested an antiboitic for lack of a better idea.
Expert:  Theresa replied 6 years ago.

This could be the result of a toxin or something else that she has ingested or may be significant in that she could be in liver failure, have an abdominal mass or the start of pancreatitis. The antibiotics are a good idea. Monitor her appetite and any change at all in what she eats or vomiting she should go right back to the vet. I would also talk to your vet about a product called denamarin. This is SAMe and milk thistle which helps to detoxify the liver and improves function. She may need to be on this long term depending on the cause for the increase. It is also possible that if she did have a lengthy seizure that this alone caused the elevation in her liver enzymes so I highly suggest repeating a test on her liver enzymes as soon as 2 weeks from the last one.

Theresa

Theresa, A Voice for your Pet
Experience: 19+ years in animal medicine as a veterinary technician
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Theresa's Post: No chance of a toxin. She is a really good kitty and does not eat plants or anything other than her food. As I said, I am not sure she had a seizure. I am thinking it was more of a muscle or joint issue. She had no aura or no residual effects from a siezure. I had a dog with siezures so I am familiar with that. Not the same thing at all. But, I could be wrong.

Thoughts on the antibiotics?
Expert:  Theresa replied 6 years ago.

I do think antibiotics would be a good idea at least to cover all bases but just as importantly I feel that she should be started on the liver supplement (Denamarin) as well. Common antibiotics used are cefodroxil, clavamox, or baytril.

Theresa